Friday, October 15, 2021

Draft Genre Page Research

    Genre, Genre, Genre....its all that's been in my head!!! But what is genre? Genre is the structure of ways people will see the world. Genre is the category of artistic composition, as in music or literature, characterized by similarities in form, style, or subject matter. Films that fit in a category makes a genre. Genre has helped me learn about different types films and helped me understand how to categorize them. 

Film is categorize into many types of genres. There's horror, comedy, action, and more. But the important thing is how to analyze the genre in order to categorize films into it. For example, the genre Horror. Horror is classified as a genre that  I had to learn the conventions to properly analyze the genre. Film conventions are used to represent certain topics, characters and events, and more. Conventions in horror are high pitched music, jump scares, and a masked killer. Conventions can help films be easily categorized and analyzed into a genre. Films use many techniques in order to make it feel like that certain genre. For example, in a horror film you'll see many handheld shots and P.O.V shots just to give the film some type of real life affect. An other example is that in action films they like to use a lot of medium or long shots to try and connect the main character to its surrounding. Most of things in film is pretty much analyzed so it can go in its right genre. In romantic comedies I learned that people look at the movie poster to determine if the movie is in that certain genre. Like if there is two men and a lady in the poster with big bright red or pink font letters for the title. It shows that there's a love triangle and this belongs in romantic comedies. In comedy I picked up some pretty important stuff too. I learned that comedies are made to be humorous and give laughter to the audience. I didn't know that there were many types of comedies like sentimental comedy or even classical comedies. In crime I was able to understand that the movie will also involve some type of case or murder. In crime there's a lot of high angle shots and dolly-zooms. SCI-FI was made to show the future technology and how its good or bad. This was interesting to me as I learned in SCI-FI there were a lot of editing being done to make a quality movie. When i learned about the gangster genre i learned that they use these films for people to get a sense of reality. The gangster film is about criminals, gangster, bank robbers, etc. These movies could be causing more harm than good. I learned a lot about genres. 

i worked on the movie genre action and i was able to evaluate a lot about it. Action is a broad genre that shows a story by using fights, weapons, or vehicles. The action genre is a which the protagonist or protagonists are thrust into a series of events that typically include violence, extended fighting, physical feats, rescues and frantic chases. Common tropes of the genre include explosions, car chases, fistfights and shootouts.​ I learned many things about this genre like its conventions or even characters you'll most likely see in a action film. Action was a pretty interesting genre when I was researching about it. 

There are certain conventions we see in action movies. Like when we go watch a action movie. We know there's going to be some type of conflict with weapons, powers, or guns. I learned about certain themes that comes with action films too.  Like for example some themes consist of vengeance, justice, sacrifice, etc. Learning about action was pretty cool though. As i researched i found out what iconography is. Then i found out that action movies uses this technique a lot. Iconography includes the physical features in a film and help the audience to identify a films genre. Action movies is a very diverse genre. One of my personal favorites.                                                                                                                                                          
                  

I learned a lot of things i didn't really take into consideration. I learned that a lot about different genres. I didn't really know much about genres before these past weeks. I used to think like "oh the action genre is just about fighting" but it's deeper than that. Each genre has a certain meaning for it. One might be made to make people laugh and another might be made to scare people. There's more too it. I want to learn more about the different genres and i want to learn how to instantly tell the difference between them. I learned a lot these past few days. 
 
The sources I used were (http://joshsmedia.weebly.com) and I used my classmates Powerpoints and notes for reference material. 


















No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection

                      Creative Critical Reflection